Sunday, July 26, 2020

Into Salem Sound

It was a very, very hot day and I had an itch to go paddling.  Betsy was busy with the first day of her 9 day virtual music teaching institute, so either I solo or find someone else to go with.  As providence would have it, Tom & Kay were also thinking about paddling today, so it's off to Marblehead I go.

Since we only decided this at noon time, by the time I load up and head to the North Shore, it's 2:20pm before we put in.

We start our adventure at Gas House Beach in Marblehead.  Since a few weeks ago we paddled in Marblehead Harbor then east around Marblehead Neck, this week we decide to head west. The route will take us around Peach's Point and then into Salem Sound.  On the way back, we decide to detour by way of Crownshield Island (also known as Brown's Island) before returning to our put in.
We navigate the choppy waters around Peach's Point and view the new Salem power plant in the distance.

The waters in the sound are much calmer.  Beyond Tom & Kay is the town of Marblehead

At almost 2 1/2 miles out, it's time to take a little stretch break.

This is the pier at Stranski's beach.
The water is warm and Tom decides a quick dip is in order.


Betsy isn't with us today, but I took this picture for her.  This boat is for sale (that means no paddling).  Just call the US Virgin Islands phone number on the sign.  If you can't see it, the home port on the back of the boat says "St. Thomas".  Sounds good to me.

The tide is still low as we skirt the near side of Crownsheild Island.  There's not enough water to paddle so we have to do a little portaging.

Just a few more stokes and we're home.
On our adventure today we traveled 5.28 miles in 2:46.   After an enjoyable dinner, I didn't get home until after 9pm.  It was dark, but I still had to clean my boat and gear from the salt water.

I can't wait to get out again with our friends and do some more exploration of Salem Sound.  My kayak books have plenty of potential routes, but I think we'll do fine just taking it a piece at a time.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry I had to work and miss this great adventure with friends. I like the boat for sale, but I think I'd like a bigger one. And a crew to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. You have a real knack for making the adventure come alive in photo.

    ReplyDelete