Saturday, May 23, 2015

North-South Trail - Hike #3


"Three Day Weekend" - that's how I titled my invitation to my potential hiking partners prior to the Memorial Day holiday.  Yes, there will be ample time for family and yard work, but let's get a hike in first.  The forecast called for sunny weather, albeit slightly cool.  Perfect for a hike.

"Late, late, late" - that's what I said to myself as we started this hike.  Alex & I didn't start walking until 12:42 this particular Saturday, so considering we intended to cover almost 11 miles, it was going to be late afternoon until we finished.

What was nice, though, was getting more family time by having more of them join me.




At the start at Baker Pines Road.  Alex & I will start walking while everybody else will be heading for a nearby playground.  Dominic will be able to play Chutes and Ladders with Grammy, Uncle Nathaniel and Mama.  We actually had a false start.  About 1/10th of a mile down the trail I realized I dropped my guidebook so we had to head back for it.
Our first obstacle is Boulder Field, "an extensive area containing a seemingly endless number of boulders."  Formed by glacial outwash, there were several times I thought we were through it, but it just kept going.

Here's a glacial erratic.  Not as impressive as the Midstate landmarks Balance Rock and Sampson's Pebble, but pretty cool, just the same.

At Roaring Brook Pond, we cross an earthen dam (with boardwalk) while soaking in a marvelous mirror view.

Most of this part of the hike was unremarkable.  Alex & I were hiking very fast to make sure we would meet the rest of the gang on time.

At the break,, we had hiked 5.77 miles in just 2 hours, even with traversing the Boulder Field where the going was very slow.

     
Now, the rest of the hikers join us.  Nathaniel is out front with Betsy's trekking poles.       Alex, Cassandra, and Dominic followed.  Dominic likes to hike, but with his little legs, he has to take many more steps than we do.

This 4' high, 3' diameter precast concrete ring is actually a landmark in the hiking guide. What's it doing here so deep in the woods?

We meander along Roaring Brook.  In the distance you can see Betsy and others crossing the bridge.

We found a troll bridge here - Alex & Dominic under while Nathaniel crosses above.

Someone's obviously thought that the natural crack in the rock needed eyes and nose.

     
Rocks and water framed by the trees.       Betsy spotted this lady slipper beside the trail

We finally arrive at Stepstone Falls where we dropped our car over 4 hours earlier.

Dominic couldn't resist cooling his feet in the chilly water.
Mileage today was less than our my previous days at only 9.67 miles in 4:02 (plus .2 "stupid" miles for dropping my guidebook). However, it did include some hiking for everybody, chatting opportunities with some local fishermen and, best of all, precious family time.



1 comment: