Saturday, May 2, 2015

North-South Trail - Hike #2

Springtime comes to New England and there is just so much to do.  Especially after the exceeding harsh winter of 2015.  Nevertheless, I have chosen not to dedicate this particular Saturday no my yard, but instead to make some progress on my Rhode Island hiking goal.

I was getting some company on this trip, but since my partners would not be hiking the entire 11 miles with me, the logistics got really complicated.  Alex helps me spot my car at the end then drops me off at the start for the day.   The plan is for Betsy, Cassandra, and Dominic to join me about half way through after their morning activities.

It was a beautiful sunny day again with temps around 70°F. The drive down included a stretch on a scenic highway in Connecticut.

Here's the Meadow Brook Pond where I ended my last hike.  Like last time, lots of people are out fishing.  I'm smiling despite the fact that I forgot my water bottle in the car.  I will have a dry mouth for at least the next 5+ miles unless I find a convenience store or good Samaritan.
Apparently, this is the largest "field" on the North-South Trail.  Okay, then.
Here's the first of two historic Rhode Island cemeteries that I walked past today.  This one is in the middle of the forest and requires hiking boots to get to.
The hemlock path and the deep blue sky made for an enjoyable walk.
Just past the 5.6 mile mark, I take a lunch break.  Betsy and the gang are supposed to be meeting me here.  A quick phone call confirms they're a little behind schedule, so we arrange an alternate meeting place a mile or so down the road.

The guide book explains that the trail used to go through woodlands, but had to be re-routed along RI 138.  This is a very busy road and some the shoulder is not so wide.
We finally meet up.  Cassandra takes my backpack and I take on a little heavier payload.
We're still doing some road hiking, but at least it's scenic.  Cassandra, Dominic, and I stop by to chat with some cows.  Mooooo!
   
We passed this cute little pond, where someone obviously got creative and decided that some boats were needed.  They were tethered to the shoreline, but with the wind they actually moved around a bit.
There were no hills on this route until I put a 2-year old on my back. Clearly the steep hill we just climbed is composed of a substantial rock deposit, as this active quarry at the top attests.
Back in the woods, we give Dominic a chance to hike on his own.
We come out of the woods and pass under I-95.  Dominic's laughing because he thinks kicking Grandad from his perch in the backpack is funny.  Just 1/2 mile back to the car from here.
After retrieving the other car, we still have over an hour and a half to drive home.  The return route takes us by way of this turkey farm in Connecticut where we stop in for some homemade ice cream.  They even have a gluten-free waffle cone for Betsy.

Totals for the day:  11.01 miles for me and 3.93 for everybody else.  Overall trail time was 4:30.  While there was significantly more "road" time in this segment, we don't mind it so much; the ice cream is delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. You are av great story teller. Wish I could have done the ice cream with you.

    ReplyDelete