Saturday, October 9, 2021

Visit to Apex Orchards

Yankee Magazine, Sept/Oct 2021
One of the fun things about living in New England, is that you can visit a lot of the cool places you see in the pages of Yankee Magazine (see our visit to Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT).  This past month I read a story about Apex Orchards in Shelburne, MA where a cooperative approach was able to keep a family farming tradition "growing" strong..  In the photo at right, Courtney poses with Tim, the 7th generation co-owner.  As co-owner, she now  manages the hill top orchard while Tim continues to drive the tractor.

I  recalled my experiences as a teenager working at Highland Orchards outside West Chester, PA, and resolved to visit Apex on my next visit to western Massachusetts.  I was inspired by the story so on our visit I thought a similar photo would be appropriate (below).



Not far from I-91, the orchard sits atop a hill affording stunning views in three directions.  Mount Monadnock can even be seen to the northeast.








Thanks, Courtney, for taking time out of your busy Saturday to chat with me.  I wish you both all the best.







No comments:

Post a Comment