Sunday, November 15, 2020

Pawtuckaway State Park

Happy Birthday Steve!  Time to get out of state before another round of travel restrictions go into effect.

It is a cool, gray day today, but we dress warmly and won't have any problems.  After a stop at the LL Bean Outlet in Nashua, we head east to stay ahead of the rain.  We decide to visit Pawtuckaway State Park in southern New Hampshire, a popular camping destination I have often seen on the AMC Activities web site.  We're not camping today, but there's plenty of interesting hiking to be had.

You may notice there's no map on this entry.  That's because I forgot to turn the tracker on.  My bad.  Instead, I get the low-down from the lone park ranger and the park's main entrance.  I get the feeling this place gets really busy in season.
 
Here are some big trees down.  Perhaps, some came down in the recent high winds.

Some interesting sights on this trail, including remnants of an old structure.


The trail is nice and wide, and as you can see behind me well maintained.  That bridge looks like it was just built this season.

We skirt a marsh that displays a winter beauty.

I pull out the tripod for a "group" shot,  but clearly I need more practice with it.

I forgot to turn on the tracker today.  However, I was able to reconstruct the walk we did on ViewRanger.  We hiked in about a mile then turned around for a total of about 2 miles.


Lava cake - Happy Birthday to me!

NOTES:  Jan 31, 2021

It turns out, I did have the tracker on and I am pasting it here.  It turns out my approximations were pretty accurate.  The tracker recorded 2.08 miles.




2 comments:

  1. A happy birthday activity - note that we are totally socially distanced from everyone - the nearest people miles away. (TAKE THAT! - Mandatory MA Mask Mandate with no exceptions for being outside in the wilderness.) Appropriate for the year that your candle melted into the molten lava cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My resolution is to get prepared to join you next summer on a hike, Steve, and to purchase some walking sticks. It will give us something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete