Monday, January 2, 2017

Impromptu New Year's Hike

I was invited to join some friends on a New Year's Holiday hike on a section of (my old friend) the Midstate Trail.  With all our holiday company gone, including my wife, I figured I could take some time for some fresh air and start the new year off right.

The section of trail we were hiking was around the Barre Falls Dam (essentially Hike #8 from my Midstate trek in 2012).  I met my fellow hikers at the picnic area near the dam, from there we shuttled back to Intervale Road in Rutland.

As I said, I was invited along on this hike; this was Brian's hike as he attempts to hike as much of the Midstate as he can this year.  I started out just hiking, but soon found much of the scenery to be winter-wonderland beautiful, a pleasant surprise for me as I had never hiked this section of the trail in the snow.  To that end, all the pictures I have are just from my phone, since I wasn't originally planning to blog this hike.


Lots of snow, and it's not so clear to see the trail.
Lots of snow, but at least I can clearly see the trail.
Not quite enough snow to warrant snowshoes;  micro-spikes will do it today.  Nonetheless, sometimes I couldn't see my feet. I wish I would have remembered the gaiters.
This stone structure looks like a foundation or more likely a retaining wall for a cistern.

Frozen brook.
Underneath, there's still some water flowing.
Nearing the end of the hike, here's a view of the dam from below. 

Looking back down, you can follow the trail back into the woods on the left.

This is the control house for the dam itself.

Back at the picnic area, I join my fellow hearty hikers:  Brian, Tom, Dave.
This hike actually winds through three towns:  Rutland, Hubbardston, and finally Barre.  Our distance was 3.78 miles in 1:46 (2.12 mph).  Not fast, but 1) we weren't going for speed, and 2) there was lots of snow on the trail.  Sadly, I forgot to take and "end" picture of where we went to rejuvenate after the hike.  That would be the Gardner Ale House where we enjoyed some appetizers and beer.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I had forgotten about how much I enjoyed this hike. It was a Naidoo day!

    ReplyDelete