Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hike 2 - Section #1B & #2A

Today is Earth Day (Sunday, April 22).  What better way to celebrate than to get outside and enjoy God's creation!  I sent out invites, but unfortunately nobody was available to join me today.  Nonetheless,  I decide that's not going to stop me.  The weather forecast is for lots and lots of rain to start steadily later in the afternoon.  I want to try and get my hike in before it gets bad.  After all, it could be worse; they are going to get a FOOT of SNOW at Cassandra's parent's house in western Pennsylvania.

I decide to start my hike where I left off last time, where the Mid-State crosses Rt 119 in Ashburnham.  I go by way of Ashby and once again am fooled into thinking that Ashby is not that far from Leominster and that it  won't take me long to get there.  Right!  To make matters worse, there are Sunday drivers out on Ashby State Road.  Augh!  I arrive at my starting point later than planned, AGAIN.  I start my hike at 1:16pm, mile marker 1.21.

Just starting down the trail.  The Mid State is co-incidental with quite a few roads.  Note, jacket  on , light mist falling.



OK, I'll take the risk.

There were *so* many shades of green today, the camera doesn't even capture it..

At the top of Blueberry Hill, 1473'.  Looks like they're doing logging here.

My first look at Winnekeag Lake.
Camp Winnekeag amphitheater.  Note, poncho on now.

Lake Winnekeag.  This was my planned stopping point, but I'm on a roll, so I continue.


At the top of Mount Hunger, 1450' with Stodge Meadow Pond in the background.  Note, poncho hood is now up.
The long stone wall on the way down from Mount Hunger
Why did the wild turkey's cross Russell Hill Road?
James & Chris wanted to come, but settled for picking me up and shuttling me back to my car. 

At Camp Winnekeag, it actually wasn't raining too hard.  It grew steadily stronger as I continued.  By the end, I was a bit of a drowned rat.  However, the nice thing about hiking in the rain is that there weren't a lot of bugs.  I would have been less wet had I stared on time.

I exit the trail at mile 6.33.  Mileage today is 5.12 miles in 1:50.

No comments:

Post a Comment